Sunday, February 1, 2009

tate music group...a super show

Well, it's almost midnight and Super Bowl LXIII is officially over. I have to say, it was a much better game than anyone would have thought. Down to the wire...that is how we (who don't have a pro team to really cheer for) like our Super Bowls. The commercials were pretty good...especially Cash4Gold with the MC Hammer cameo. I'm going to have to ask my boss, our president, why Tate Music Group didn't have an ad during the game.

Since I work for Tate Music Group and listening and reviewing music is what I get to do all day, I want to comment on one of the non-sports stars of the game...even if it was halftime. Yes, I am talking of 'The Boss' - Bruce Springsteen. I thought it was a great performance of great, dare I say, timeless music. I was, however, a little disappointed that 'Born In the USA' didn't make the playlist...but 'Glory Days' was a good replacement. And did you see the slide...belly first into the camera? That is what it means to get up close and personal with 'The Boss.'

I've noticed something about the halftime shows in the past few years...ever since the infamous 'wardrobe malfunction' performance, they have featured time-tested, professional, hall of fame bands and artists. Here is the list from 2005 to tonight: Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, and Bruce Springsteen.

Now, granted, I know that not everyone is going to like all of these artists. Regardless of your musical preference, I would like to point out that all of these artists (and U2 who played in 2002) are 'hall of fame' artists for a number of reasons - great music, a great fan base, some lucky breaks, and a lot of hard work...serious, 24/7/365 hard work. The difference between these time-tested artists and the thousands of 'one hit wonders' (including most of the American Idols) is that very thing - hard work.

At Tate Music Group, we understand the need and the importance of hard work. Sure, lucky breaks and a strong fan base are definitely needed to really 'make it' but it is the understanding that you, as an artist, are starting a business (and working as if that is the case) that can and will put you over the competition. You may have some of the greatest music ever but if you don't work hard and work smart to get people to hear it, your just one more hopeful waiting for your big chance to shine.

The problem with that is the waiting. Sure, we want you to shine but at Tate Music Group, we want to work hard and help create those 'big chances,' along with as many other chances you can get to share your music. So, as our artists pursue their 'super bowl moment,' we want to make sure they keep shining on the smaller stages that lead there.

I heard that 'The Boss' wants to see Coldplay as next year's entertainment. I'd love to see that...unless we can get one of Tate Music Group's artists to fill that slot instead.

No comments: