Friday, February 17, 2012

tate music group...retail and promotional events

When promoting your album...it is imperative to have live interaction events. These can be performance based events - concerts, gigs, tours, etc. Or they can be hybrid events that deal with the promotion of the album through interaction (and possibly some performance) - CD signings, retail/niche promotional opportunities, media appearances, etc. Both are important to the promotion, publicity, and overall sales of the CD!

Every artist wants to focus on the former (live performance events)...and they should be focused on that. However, the latter (retail/promotional/media events) can often be even more effective from a sales and networking standpoint because of the people you have a chance to interact with. We get notes all the time regarding great niche/promotional events that turn into major performance or media opportunities. I want to share one we received this past week from an artist in Texas:

"Here's a story for ya: I had a CD Signing at Hastings in Victoria, TX the end of January. I sold and signed several CD's. Met some great people and made new fans and friends. Thru this signing I picked up a radio interview from a radio station in Granbury, TX which is about 300 miles from Victoria. The program manager just happened to be there that day. We had the interview and he said check back in a month or two and let him know how it is going, and we'll do another interview. My music is being played on his station. Also thru this signing the store manager asked me to start up an open mic night at the Hardback Coffee Cafe on Thursday nights. I've done this for 3 weeks and they ask me back every week. I've sold several CDs thru this event and I'm gaining friends and fans. Last night I was asked to perform for a Recovery group at a Large Church in Victoria. I've also made other contacts for future gigs.

I want to thank You and TMG for taking an interest in me and my music. You are right, the CD signings aren't like performing; however, we really enjoy them. We've made some great contacts and get to talk about our Ministry and Music. A lady professor from Baylor University asked me to perform at a Memorial Service in the future. I sing Amazing Grace in Cherokee and that's what she wants for her Husbands Memorial... What an honor.

We request to be set up at the entrance of the store. When customers walk in we make eye contact and smile. Our music is playing and we hold out our business card and a refrigerator magnet with Heart of Grace Ministries on it. We don't sell a CD to everyone but we give them something of ourselves every time. Some people ignore us and refuse the grace we extend to them, but they are few."

No comments: