Monday, November 10, 2008

tate music group...a cover story

I had an artist the other day ask me about cover songs. His purpose for the question was to find out if Tate Music Group produced albums with cover songs on them. The answer to that question is no...not because we don't like them...we just want to focus on the original music our artists write and produce.

Just because Tate Music Group doesn't normally produce them doesn't mean that our artists can't practice and perform them. Sometimes, a well placed, well performed cover can completely win an audience. Why? I'm sure there are a lot of reasons. Here are a few. Cover songs (as long as they aren't too off-the-wall) are easily recognizable. They bring an element of comfort and familiarity. Cover songs are also, quite often, very singable. In fact, many popular cover songs are big karaoke hits. Cover songs also help the audience to forget they don't know your songs as well, if at all. A good mixture of cover songs will allow the audience to lump everything together, the familiar and the unfamiliar. Hopefully, if all the music was well written and performed, your CDs on the back table will sell out and, inevitably, there will be a huge demand for the live, bootleg album of you performing the theme song to 'Dukes of Hazzard.'

This conversation, and this post, has caused me to think about the songs that I would cover if I were to ever get back to playing gigs. It is a short list. I have taken into account the fact that I rarely hear anyone cover these songs...and I think some cool things could be added to each one. Please feel free to leave me your lists for comparison. Enjoy.

1. 'Sound of Silence' - Simon and Garfunkel
2. 'Shameless' - Garth Brooks
3. 'Losing My Religion' - REM
4. 'Water Runs Dry' - Boyz 2 Men
5. 'Power of Love' - Huey Lewis and the News

No comments: