Friday, November 14, 2008

tate music group...star gazing

Let me start by saying, "I don't like award shows." Any kind. It doesn't matter. I don't even like the ESPY's. That being said, I found myself watching (though a bit grudgingly) the CMA awards a few nights ago. It was a very big production, with A-list celebrities, and a lot of great musical talent (though my choices of the best will probably differ from most). It was an impressive spectacle...and it ended up being a very thought provoking show for me.

It made me think about the artists who have made it to that point in their career. That is a very impressive thing, to say the least. But it isn't the norm...and it doesn't really paint a fair picture of what it takes to get close to that kind of pinnacle. I guess I just wish there were more stories about how many of these artists had to struggle to get shows and play for free, just to be across the street from where Randy Travis was playing. Those are the stories, in my opinion, that tell the more truthful side of this industry. That is more of the norm...not standing in line for a TV show competition.

I mean, don't get me wrong...if you can make it on the TV circuit...regardless of what show or network...take that opportunity and run with it. Look at Kellie Pickler. She didn't even win and she was a featured artist on the CMA's. The truth is, most artists aren't going to make it on a show like that. Most artists aren't even going to try and stand in line. They are going to get themselves in small bars, clubs, coffee shops, churches, and everywhere else they can to get their music heard. Their favorite night is 'open mic night' at the places that have the most people.

As I watched this award show, I started thinking about some of the artists who are now pretty large, household names. I thought about what I saw and experienced them doing to get to where they are now. Sure, they got some good breaks, but they put a lot of leg work in before those breaks came.

Pat Green: He was one of my favorite artists in college (and I don't even really like country music that much). His sound was raw and familiar and aimed right at you. It didn't feel commercial at all. He was famous in the college scene because he made his living, literally, by playing college after college, small venue after small venue, with the occasional festival and opening for a major act.

John Mayer: Another major music icon while I was in college. I never knew much about him except that he was an incredible guitarist and a great concert artist. I do know, however, that if it weren't for the copy of his live bootlegged CD, he would have never made it on to TRL with Carson Daly. I'm pretty sure every college girl in America 'owned' his live album and called TRL daily (no pun intended).

Switchfoot: I know these guys have paid their dues because I remember getting a CD sampler for $1.99 that had their first 'single' on it. That was a long time ago (at least to me - probably 10+ years ago at least). Switchfoot travelled and played youth functions, church concerts, and summer camps and festivals for years before making it as one of the most successful 'crossover' bands ever.

The point of this late night rant is this: Although all those TV shows are popular (you know the ones), it isn't a true view of reality. The reality is it is going to take a lot of work and, probably, a lot of time to get to that point. The great thing for the artist we work with, the don't have to do all of it alone. We at Tate Music Group are committed to helping them get closer and closer to their dreams and goals.

I say aim for the stars...just don't forget it isn't just a moment away.

No comments: