Wednesday, October 22, 2008

a job like no other

It was cold and rainy today at Tate Music Group...a fine day for a post. I was thinking today about what I get to do for a living, what Tate Music Group pays me to do for them. Each time I think about this I have a hard time believing my luck. Of course, I find it amazing that I get the job of listening to music, giving reviews, and offering contracts but my favorite part isn't any of these. My favorite part is when I talk to potential TMG artists and ask them to tell me about their music.

No joke, I really like that part. I like it because every single artist is different in their response. Sure, there are some similarities but, for the most part, I am hearing stories, backgrounds, and causes that are completely unique to each artist. It is an emotional journey on many different levels. You would be surprised how much you can learn about a person by just asking them to tell you about something they love, something as emotional as music.

Yesterday I was able to talk with a potential Tate Music Group artist about all these things. He described his music and the background that brought him to this point. He talked about his group and why they do what they do. He talked about his vision for using music as a way to minister to the people in his community (and beyond) who need to hear something positive come out of people who can relate. He talked about how music, to him, is such an incredible tool, waiting to be used and effective. It was an incredible conversation to have with someone I haven't ever actually met (face to face).

It might surprise you but that actually happens a lot. I am constantly inspired by the artists I have the pleasure of working with. That is something I try to never take for granted. I want to take every opportunity I can to listen to our artist's stories and the emotions behind the music. That is where the real reviews happen. Lots of people can play a chord but few can really strike one.

No comments: