Friday, October 31, 2008

to assume...

We spent the better part of the morning meeting with and talking to Mark Levine, an author and researcher of book publishers like Tate Publishing, parent company of Tate Music Group. It was pretty interesting, really. Even though he specializes in books, I felt like I walked away with a good bit of insight and information that I can use on the music end. He spoke to us as one on the outside looking in. What can we do better? Where do we seem strongest? What do outsiders say or think about us? Good stuff.

I think, though, that the most important thing I took from the discussion was one specific statement Mark made. I have been thinking about it all day. He said, "You don't have the luxury of assuming people think you are honest." I have to admit, that stung a little bit...and I'm still not exactly sure why.

Maybe its because I do assume people think that. About me. About Tate Music Group. About our offer. But they don't...and they have plenty of reasons not to.

Tate Music Group is just one honest company, among many, fighting an uphill battle. We are fighting this battle because of other companies and individuals who have taken advantage of people, causing all the cynicism and negativity we see today. This is true in all areas of business and service, but it seems to be especially true in the music world. There are a lot of promises made to people that can't be controlled. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a growing lack of responsibility regarding written and spoken word.

So what do we do? How can Tate Music Group win this battle? We keep fighting. We keep doing what we say we'll do. We continue to refrain from saying things that aren't true or promise things that are outside of our control. We do all this and, little by little, we will see the overall assumption begin to change.

No comments: