Friday, October 17, 2008

what happened to facts

I actually like to blog. You'd be surprised at how many people I know who hate it. They do it, for whatever reason, but they don't like it. I actually find it therapeutic. I want people to read what I write, but I write my thoughts as if I am the only one who actually cares. Maybe that is good, maybe not. What I try never to do, in any of the blogs, creative writing papers, articles, or letters I write, is to just put a bunch of nonsense that isn't represented by facts. I hate that!

Example: I have been monitoring a few blogs on other sites that have a lot to say about Tate Music Group...what Tate Music Group does and does not do, etc. I am happy that places like that exist. Why? Because if I am looking to make a big decision, be it a purchase, service, or whatever, I like to see what others have experienced. Good or bad. I want to know true facts about what they have to tell me. Buying a car? What is the gas mileage really like? Are there hidden fees with the warranty? Did the company do what they said they would? Things like that.

That is helpful when I am in the market to buy a car. Of course, I don't base everything on the say-so of one or two people. I look at what they say, judging its merit, and also look at the information I have regarding the company, product, or service I am researching. Sounds reasonable, right?

What I am noticing is a growing number of people who are writing blogs and posts without any true knowledge of what they are 'reviewing.' They have thrown out the facts, or better yet, ignored them to focus on what they want to say, right or wrong.

Do we have free speech? Absolutely! I am thankful for that everyday. We also have responsible speech. One of my favorite movies of all time is "All the President's Men" starring Redford and Hoffman. What a great example of true journalism and responsible speech and reporting. Getting the facts straight should be of utmost importance if you want to be taken seriously (and if you want to be considered an honest human being).

What I am realizing is that anybody and everybody can spout off at the mouth. That is never going to change. What I am realizing more and more is that people are able to see through the nonsense and the falsity.

Regarding Tate Music Group, it is apparent that not everyone likes us or what we do. It is also apparent, though, that those same people don't really know us or what we do. They simply write what they want and hope that others read and begin hating us too. I'm not so sure about that plan. For Tate Music Group, our concern is on being honest and available to our artists. That is just one of the many things that set us apart.

No comments: